Many of you already know what happened this weekend, but some of you don't, so let me fill you in.
On Thursday night, my parents were in a car accident on their way to visit my little brother at West Point. I got a call from my grandmother on Friday morning to tell me what had happened. Their rental car was totaled in the accident, but fortunately, the inside of the car stayed pretty much intact (other than the windshield). The accident happened in Toledo, so they were taken to a hospital there, where they have been ever since. My dad broke his clavicle in three places, and just had surgery to repair it on Sunday afternoon. My mom's hip was fractured right where the hip socket is and she also had to have surgery on Sunday evening. The rest of their injuries were just cutr and bruises ... thank goodness!
My sister, Lauren, flew in immediately after she got the news, and we drove together to Toledo to be with them on Saturday. I had to come back on Sunday, but Lauren decided to stay with my parents for the week. My other sister, Katherine, flew in on Sunday night and will also be with my parents for the rest of the week. (Did you get all that???) I am so lucky to have such wonderful sisters who were both able to take a week off and get my parents back from the hospital and settled in at home.
I just spoke to Katherine on the phone and they are getting ready to load my parents up in their van to bring them home. I'm not quite sure what we should expect as far as recovery for my dad, but I know that my mom's recovery will be pretty long. She cannot put weight on her hip or sit up straight for 6-8 weeks. We have a lot of work to do to get the house ready for that kind of situation and aren't quite sure what to do after Lauren and Katherine leave. So, please just keep my mom and dad in your prayers. And if you think of it, say a prayer for my sisters and I, too, that God will give us the wisdom we need in making the right decisions for them, etc. We are so sad that this happened, but incredibly thankful that my parents are still here and that their injuries will eventually heal! I'll keep you posted!
9 comments:
Oh Rachel! I'm so sorry to hear about this... and that it happened in Toledo, of all places. Know of our prayers and support for you all! I guess now you and your sisters have the wonderful opportunity to return all the love and encouragement your parents have given to you. I know how much you cherish them!! Prayers for a speedy recovery and a smoothing over of all of the rough details. Hugs!
Rachel,
I so wish I would have known. I am only 45 minutes from Toledo and would have gone to the hospital...I will pray for all. Thank god they are relatively ok. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
Keeping you all in our prayers, Rachel!
Oh my gosh, Rachel, I am so sorry! I am so glad to hear they are okay, and we will be praying for you and your family! Hang in there! We love you!
We'll be praying for them too!! Thanks for letting us know!
I'm so sorry to hear about your parents! You are all in my prayers!
Oh Rachel! I'm so sorry that this has happened to your parents. Prayers for healing, peace, and patience for everyone.
I sent you an email. I'm in Michigan for the next 12 days and would love to help out. I am praying for you guys. Call or email me! Love you.
Sending lots of prayers your way. Glad to hear that your parents are doing okay... what a poignant reminder of how precious our family is. I wish you lots and lots of wonderful family time with them & hopefully they have a quick and easy recovery.
Post a Comment