type='text/javascript'/> Keeping The Faith: Finally!

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Finally!

I'm BAAAAACK!

Several days in a row of no nap for the little guy is just NOT very conducive to blogging, that's for sure! Night-time in the big-boy room is going great, but nap-time is another story! We only have a few toys (legos, stuffed animals) in Tanner's room along with several books, but they sure do keep him busy while he's fighting sleep! I don't mind him playing quietly until he's ready to go to sleep, but it is important to me that he does sleep at some point! Otherwise we have a cranky toddler and, ultimately, a cranky mommy by early evening! He actually spent a few afternoons in a row just reading and playing up there for 2-2.5 hours without sleeping! YIKES! Luckily, yesterday and today he's actually started falling asleep again. I was about to start putting him back in the crib for naps!

ANYWAYS, thank you for all of the sweet birthday messages. I had a FANTASTIC birthday! My parents came to town for the weekend and babysat so that Jon and I could go out. We actually went to see two movies with dinner in-between at Cheesecake Factory. YUM!! And I do have to say ... I totally made out on birthday gifts! Jon got me a remote starter for my car. What a treat in this frigid weather! I LOVE hopping into a toasty car whenever we go somewhere! And my parents got me a Keurig single-cup brewer so that I can make myself a cup of joe whenever I want. Can I just say -- HEAVEN?!! 60 seconds and you have a hot mug of great coffee with no cleanup whatsoever. I'm so lovin' it! (and feeling REALLY spoiled!) I have some lemon-almond biscotti baking in the oven right now, just waiting to be dipped into melted white chocolate. I have to have SOMETHING to eat with all that coffee, right? (Note to self: watching Food Network while pregnant is NOT safe. You will only want to cook everything you see.)

Besides the birthday, life is just normal. I'm starting to feel pretty pregnant and have trouble sleeping at night because I'm just uncomfortable and have about a million things running through my mind. Tanner has been sick with a cold this week, which has left us out of the loop with friends and activities. I'm trying very hard not to get cabin fever and have spent 2 of the past 3 mornings meandering through Target just to get out of the house for a bit. I'm also trying to be creative and think of some new fun things for Tanner to do at home. We baked cupcakes together for my birthday and he thought he'd died and gone to heaven. Boy, did he love pouring ingredients into the bowl and mixing things together. He did have a meltdown, though, when it was time to put them in the oven. He really is enjoying anything that seems like "real" work -- putting dishes in the dishwasher and helping me unload, sweeping the floor, prepare food, etc. I would LOVE to hear any good ideas you might have for ways to keep toddlers busy. He's just going through a stage right now where he's not that into toys.

Okay ... gotta go get the biscotti out of the oven. Enjoy the pics!














6 comments:

Jeremy & Kimberly Ballard said...

We fell in love with the Keurig while visiting some friends and just had to have one. We absolutely love it! A great present for a busy mom. I just tried a new K-cup flavor, Blueberry Cobbler, scrumptious. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours as well.

Anonymous said...

I get those "paint" books where you really only dip the brush in water and then "paint" the page - and you can find them at Target ;) It keeps him occupied for awhile and he's really proud of his paint job. By the way, I think all moms go to Target to get out of the house. I run into my mommy friends all the time with the same agenda!

Heather said...

How about Playdough? I know some little ones eat it, but I was lucky that B didn't do that... the paint w/ water books are good, too. It's hard bc you come up with activities, but they lose interest pretty quickly... it's a hard age, I remember, but it does get better. Shortly after 2 they really get into pretending and that leads to all kinds of fun play. good luck!

Teacher-Mom said...

Glad to hear that Mr. Tanner has finally figured out his big boy bed. He just had to get the hang of how things were going to be. Have you tried making playdough? It is pretty easy and fun because it is edible so you don't have to worry. Just a thought!

Carolina Girl said...

Take a look at MckMama's blog, http://www.mycharmingkids.net/2009/02/when-weather-outside-is-frightful.html
She had some ideas for fun things to do while it's cold oustide. Not sure if Tanner's old enough for them, but worth checking out and filing away in your Mommy brain for later.

Michelle said...

I don't think he can get any cuter! Can I arrange a marriage at this age? I love seeing all the pictures of him! And I think we need a belly shot of baby #2!